Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lessons From Our Children

We were visiting in Nashville this weekend and Mindy, my beautiful daughter, so many times "awes" me. I know she is my daughter but, oh, the lessons I learn from her. A couple of examples just from a trip to Kroger (or is it "the" Kroger).

1. Upon entering the store, an older man is stationed at the door to hand out the current ads. He has a chair but gets up when Mindy enters. Mindy greets him warmly and he responds in such a way you know he obviously knows her. They carry on a short, pleasant conversation and you can just see on his face that he so enjoys that she will stop and talk with him for a minute or two. He speaks of the weather and the big football games being played over the weekend. Then says he's more of a rugby fan than a football fan - He used to play rugby. It's only when he mentioned rugby that I catch he has a slight foreign accent - he probably has plenty of stories to share. As she tells him bye to begin our shopping, she looks at me and says, "Sorry, I just had to talk with my friend". Wonder how many times I would enter my grocery store and not have the time to stop and share a few words with someone?

2. As we pull into the parking lot, Mindy stops for a car to pull out. By all rights, she could have gone on by and let them wait. No reason, just being courteous. They threw up their hand as a thank you and Mindy energetically waved and flashed one of her BIG smiles. It was so genuine that I actually asked, "Do you know them?".
You guessed it, she said no.

Random acts of kindness. What a better world if we all practiced it!

Matthew 25:40
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You raised her....what did you expect?

Grandmom said...

Even grandmom learns from "our Mindy." She is some more special girl! Oh, how I love her!!