Thursday, September 3, 2009

In The Blink of an Eye

I had one of those moments this morning that you can't get the "what ifs" out of your mind. I was traveling on I40 to work - congested, morning rush hour traffic. At one spot there are 4 or 5 lanes and an on ramp. I was in the 2nd from the left lane. Out of the corner of my eye to my right I saw a black SUV (about the size of the car I was driving-an Escalade) swerve. Then I saw it turn sideways and I started applying the brake. The rest happened so fast. The SUV went across all lanes of traffic in front of me and hit the barrier on the left side of the road. That caused the vehicle to spin around and come back across the road. The car right in front of me was hit by the SUV that continued back across and finally stopped in the emergency lane on the right. I was able to stop and did not hit the car in front of me. I then looked up in the mirror and an eighteen wheeler had been able to stop behind me without hitting me.

As far as I could tell, there were only 2 cars in the accident but I think the SUV may have tapped the bumper of a car that started the whole thing. As congested as it was and we were all driving around 65-70 MPH, I am amazed it was not a LOT more serious.

I did not stop - several cars did stop to check on the passengers. I was the first to call the Highway Patrol. I have prayed for all the people involved all morning and thanked God for my safety and those who were spared involvement. I know none of the ones involved started the day thinking anything like that would happen.

I thank God for His protection this morning because....

None of us know what can happen in the blink of an eye......

2 comments:

Mindy said...

That is crazy. I will pray for all involved with you! I thank Him for protecting you too! I love you.

Grandmom said...

I am having a good cry right now and thanking God for protecting my Joni! I love you!