
Ever wonder since we talk about a doctor's "bedside manner", what does the doctor call the patient's "manner"? (Would love to hear from anyone in the medical profession - maybe - if it's nice and will not hurt my feelings). I guess for dentist, it's chairside manner. I thought about this yesterday as I experienced an unplanned visit to my dentist!
Joe and I LOVE our dentist. He is all business, but we love that because he gets us in and gets us out (for me, any reduction of time in the chair is most welcome). He talks very quietly and sometimes....well.......mumbles! Not much of a sense of humor, but when he does jump out there and mumbles something witty - it's quite funny. Joe and I have an ongoing challenge to make Dr. B laugh!
I have been "nursing" some pain around one of my back molars and my jaw all week. You know about the conversations in my head - so all week I've been trying to talk it out in my mind - you know, "fix" this pain. I flossed, I gave that spot the "super sonic scrub" brushing, I took a decongestant thinking it might be sinus infection. I have a scheduled appointment March 31st so I thought I could just nurse it along until then. But, NO, I took my first bite of my Corn Chex yesterday morning and the cold milk hit that area and I just about spewed it all over the kitchen. The sharp pain just about knocked me out of my chair. Then the throbbing in my jaw returned.....
I "talked" to myself all the way to work.....will it go away?......should I call? Got to work, decided that March 31st was 60 days away and maybe I should call......
Dialed the number. Got "Miss Baby Talk" (another story for another day). She informed me that there wasn't anything today, they would not be there tomorrow, and the first thing she had was Wednesday of next week......unless she spoke with Dr. B. I "suggested" she pencil me in for the first thing next Wednesday but to talk to Dr. B and call me back.
She called back - could I be there at 1:45? Yes!
Then she called back at 10:20 and said Dr. B would see me in 55 minutes if I could come. Yes!
NOW - start thinking about patient's manner
Dr. B asked me what was going on so I told him my story including the little bit about, "And, no offense Dr. B, but you KNOW I would not call if I wasn't in pain"!
Then came my self-diagnosis (know they LOVE this part)....."so I figure I probably have a crack in my tooth". He said, "that's probably what I'm thinking....". Aren't you impressed how smart I am. I was feeling pretty good about now because I've been down this road before and Dr. B can fix it and it's not too bad.
Dr. B takes that little pick thingy and picks around the tooth, taps on the tooth.......nothing......it didn't even hurt. Then - the mumble - let's get a couple of xrays (cha-ching). Don't ask me why, but I HATE dental xrays!
Dr. B returns from developing the xrays and sits at the little table behind my chair to review them. The mumble.......I pick up on "stroke of bad luck"......."very unfortunate". I'm up, swinging around in the chair to see what he is seeing.......Dr. B says, "here, let me show you" and brings one of the xrays over to me and holds it up to the light. See, this filling? That's a 10 year old filling and here beneath it - this little dark area - that's a cavity that's developed underneath the filling - these two lines coming up from the bottom of the tooth - those are nerves and unfortunately, this cavity is right on top of this nerve on the left - and you'll need a root canal!
Then it was a whirlwind. He pulled the napkin from around my neck, lower the chair and said, "come on, we'll see how soon we can get you in". I'm reeling but I quickly catch up that he is sending me to another dentist to do the root canal. I protest - "Can't you do it Dr. B?". No, we have specialist that do root canals. "But, Dr. B, I trust you!" (Aren't I pitiful) Then he said, and I quote:
"I did ONE root canal in 1991 when I was in school. And it took me FOREVER to get through it. I FEEL SO SORRY FOR THE GUY I WORKED ON!! You'll be fine!
What could I say? I mumbled - Oh, okay!
So - what do you think? Was I a model patient? How'd I do with my in the chair manner? All I know is......
Root Canal - 7:00 am Monday morning - Dr. Unknown
Please pray!
3 comments:
You did really good...all the right things. Sorry you are having to wait so long for the root canal. I hope Dr.B gave you an antibiotic and something for pain.
So sorry! I'm praying for it to go well. :)
I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when you left - "can you believe that she wanted ME to do her root canal?" He He He.
I am sorry you hurt!
Post a Comment