Well, thinking of rollers, I was remembering some of my hair "history". I have naturally curly hair. When I was really young, it just laid in curls all over.
Then, as a child, Mother would pin curl my hair - sections of hair, wound around her finger to form a "circle", held in place by 2 bobbie pins put in the form of an "x". I couldn't find a really good picture of my hair in pin curls but in this picture, my bangs are pin curled:
Then, a hair net or hair bonnet was put on so everything held in place while you slept. I suppose, as this pictures documents, they also help everything stay in place while you were gazing at the sky (weird...) or playing outside (note older sister, Teresa's, cheesy smile....arrow is pointing to me - sorry about the scratched picture):
In the 60's and 70's - it was long straight (hippy) hair that was the in thing - not so easy for a gal with naturally curly hair. SO....I spent many years trying to pull that curl out - I spent years rolling my hair and sleeping on orange juice can sized plastic rollers (probably accounts for some numbness in the head...). I know I have a picture or two but I could not find one. If anyone contributes a picture, I promise I will post it....
During those years, I was all about any product seen on TV that promised hair as I wanted it to be. I asked the ladies at the hair salon if they remembered spoolies. NONE of them knew what I was talking about! Spoolies promised to be easy to sleep on. I had spoolies! Here's a picture of spoolies:


Outcome: They really didn't work....
Okay - just a couple more: Dippety Doo (a jar of gel)

Outcome: Sticky....
And anyone remember these hair dryers? We, over the years, had both styles of hair dryers:


What magical methods do I use nowadays you may ask........only my hairdresser knows for sure!
6 comments:
Are we going to review adult hair do's next and talk about the time your daughter cried when you came home with a new do? Or are we just going to skip that post?
I love you!
:-)
Funny, I was actually considering a "hairdo history" post - INCLUDING the triangle!!!!!!!!
Hey, I remember all those things-- tried all those things --except I ahave always had straight straight hair. (Gayle at Southern Hills.
Isn't Hannah just wonderful? and Justus too! But Hannah now that she can actually carry on a conversation is adorable.
I just showed Hannah this post and told her that first picture was Nannah when she was a baby. Hannah laughed and said "Mommy, that's NOT Nannah - That's Justus!"
Amazing! We were just looking at pictures of rolled hair, covered hair, and the time the hair dresser cut all your hair off and I cried. I still get a bit angry when I think about that. What beautiful hair you had ( and still have)
i have a picture of you somewhere asleep with HUGE rollers in your hair....i'll have to look for it.
imagine the migraines we'd get now if we slept in them. i remember my head being sore. ahhh, the things we do to be beautiful.
love you
Wendy
Post a Comment