Corsage
Recently Hannah has happened to notice that at certain events there are people wearing "flowers on their shirt."
For example:
We had a Sunday where we honored our minister's 50 years of preaching and he wore a corsage. Hannah noticed and asked about it.
I was in charge of a wedding shower and, of course, our team got a corsage for the soon-to-be-wife. Hannah was there and noticed and asked about it.
She noticed in a picture of Chris and I at our wedding that Chris was wearing a corsage and asked about it.
One of the things that Chris and I have been trying to do with our children is use Bible words in every day life so that when they can read the Bible for themselves these words are not so foreign to them. For example we ask them to "obey" instead of "mind" us or we ask them to have "patience" instead of "waiting". SO, when I was trying to explain the corsage thing I chose to use the word honor and explain that it was that person's special day.
(( Of course, this means that when we went to a 1 year old's birthday party and I was explaining that it was HER day and not Hannah or Justus' day, she asked if the 1 year old would have a flower on her shirt... he he! ))
Anyway, I said all that to say that on Sunday when she put on her dress.....
She looked in the mirror, her eyes got big, and she asked "are you honoring me today?" :-) See the flower on her dress? Boy, she doesn't miss a thing, does she? Silly Girl!
Don't be surprised if she asks for a corsage at her birthday party since we will be honoring HER that day. :-)
Challenge - What are some other Bible words or concepts we could easily incorporate in our daily vocabulary. I suspect this practice could help adults as well as children. Here are a few I thought of:
Blessing
Joy
Kind, Kindness
Think about it - how often do we use these beautiful words?
3 comments:
YES!
We try to remember to say be "kind" to your friends instead of just "be nice".
We don't say we are "lucky" but we are "blessed".
If I am using a fruit of the spirit word, I reminder them it is a fruit of the spirit and then sing the song and slow down at the word we are using.
This one is hard for us but I try to say to "use self control to be still" instead of just "be still."
I am trying to transfer "tell the truth" to be "Honest."
We try to say that we are "going to the church building to worship" as opposed to saying "go to church" so that the concept that We Are The Church will not be so hard later.
We just bought a wonderful book to help us incorporate "Rejoice" called I WILL REJOICE by Karma Wilson. It is great.
I am sure I am missing some! It can kindof be a fun game for Chris and I, actually!
I forgot one...
Gentle. Be "gentle" with the books. When they are playing too rough we say "be gentle." Both of our children (age 3 and 1) understand what to do when we ask them to be gentle.
To Mindy and Chris:
What a wonderful way of teaching! We are so proud of you four and love you so much
Joni, It would be wonderful if you and Mindy wrote a book along these lines and help other young parents.
Post a Comment