Well, here's my story......
It's Christmas.
I haven't baked cookies in YEARS....
I'd love to take some bags of cookies to church Sunday to hand out to friends, kids, whoever......
I have a brand new Wilton cookie press I just HAD TO HAVE last Christmas - or maybe the year before.....(I had a cookie press years ago but it was long gone) - and besides, when I bought it I knew I could use the cookie press for SO many things - really decorate cakes, make fancy deviled eggs, etc......oh, you know, all the justifications you run through IN YOUR HEAD when you buy something you could perhaps do without......Anyway, BRAND NEW 1 or 2 year old cookie press.....
Sorry, I get sidetracked so easily - back to the story....
I dig through my recipes and find three cookie recipes - sugar cookies, shortbread cookies, and chocolate spritz cookies
Skimming the ingredients I only needed a few things from the store:
1. Light Brown Sugar
2. Butter - the real thing, butter - (I would weigh 300 lbs if I kept this as a kitchen staple)
3. 7 Up - not for the cookies but 7 Up pound cake
4. Cream of Tartar
Since I only needed just a few items, I could run into the store on my way home Friday night and be ready for baking Saturday morning
Friday after work; I pull into the grocery parking lot - plan in action.....this was going to be great; pick up these items, go home and finish wrapping some gifts, do a little crafting, and all would be ready Saturday morning to devote to baking.....
4 items - quick trip......
I literally breezed through MY grocery store - I know where everything is - only 4 items - I am SO smart and SO organized.
I picked up the first three items and while on the baking aisle; pushed my cart toward the spices
where there are LOTS and LOTS of bottles and LOTS and LOTS of labels in very small print - supposedly in alphabetical order......Now, I haven't bought Cream of Tartar in a LONG, LONG time......
Then the conversation with myself starts:
I don't see Cream of Tartar
Slow down; A......B......C........; it's supposed to be in alphabetical order
I don't see Cream of Tartar
It's okay - maybe it's under Tartar instead of Cream; A......B......C......D........
I don't see Cream of Tartar
Okay, maybe it's not a spice but it's somewhere else on this aisle. Maybe down there where that man is.......
Man is on phone talking to "honey" - he can't find what she wants - what he is supposed to pick up for her......"But I don't see anything like that...."; "Yes, I am looking in the baking aisle...."; "I don't see it!"
Oh no, please, man, don't ask me for help - I'm having my own problems with Cream of Tartar.....
Man glances my way so I get very serious about looking for Cream of Tartar and hopefully acting like I know exactly what I'm doing.......probably every other woman in America knows right where Cream of Tartar is.....why can't I find it!
Plan must have worked - he decides I would be no help and goes further down the aisle
I don't see Cream of Tartar - anywhere.....
Hey, I know........maybe Cream of Tartar is not a spice
There's Tartar Sauce - maybe it's with the condiments.......
Wait, Cream - - - - maybe it's in the dairy case
I nonchalantly start walking the store - glancing down each aisle - hoping it will just jump out at me where it is - what it is - by this time I am just not really sure what Cream of Tartar is.......maybe it's a specialty item only sold in those expensive stores......
Nothing jumps out - maybe I should just go back to the baking aisle
If it's not there this time, I'll just have to ask someone for help - I've got to get home - I have so much to do.....
Plan must have worked - he decides I would be no help and goes further down the aisle
I don't see Cream of Tartar - anywhere.....
Hey, I know........maybe Cream of Tartar is not a spice
There's Tartar Sauce - maybe it's with the condiments.......
Wait, Cream - - - - maybe it's in the dairy case
I nonchalantly start walking the store - glancing down each aisle - hoping it will just jump out at me where it is - what it is - by this time I am just not really sure what Cream of Tartar is.......maybe it's a specialty item only sold in those expensive stores......
Nothing jumps out - maybe I should just go back to the baking aisle
If it's not there this time, I'll just have to ask someone for help - I've got to get home - I have so much to do.....
Which recipe is this for.......do I really have to make those cookies?.......cookies with Cream of Tartar......???
Okay, let's try this one more time......A.......B......C
Hallelujah!
Okay, let's try this one more time......A.......B......C
Hallelujah!

Why didn't I see that before? I am so crazy.......
Gotta get home........
Cookies WERE baked - stay tuned for cookie baking story - oh yes, there's a baking story too!
P.S.: If you are considering arranging therapy for me - think hard - you may find you have also had conversation(s) with yourself - maybe even stupid ones!! On second thought, maybe therapy is in order........
2 comments:
When in these situations may I suggest calling you husband? You know, he's the guy you're married to that's been in the grocery business for, hmmmmmm THIRTY-SEVEN YEARS!
I Love You
Joe
OR think of calling your daughter who would be of no help to you since she has NEVER heard of Cream of Tartar - - However, she would have loved to have been a part of this fun conversation with you and yourself... Hummmm... Do I need therapy too?
Post a Comment