What in the world does "Naked As A Jay Bird" Mean?I've heard this all my life but it's hard to find anything about this expression. I started looking it up when Mindy said she couldn't find out where the expression came from. Here's a few things I found on the internet. Do you know this expression / ever used this expression? Where do YOU think it came from?
Theory 1 - Best info, by far!
Theory 2 - duh!
Theory 3 - another duh!
Really need your input here!
4 comments:
Yep, you found just about as much as I did on the subject. But I tell you what... If I tell Hannah I want to see a Jaybird, she knows exactly what to do!!
Weird how no one knows where it came from.
Hmmm? I know what it means but not where it comes from.
I'll investigate.
Bare, unclothed, as in I came straight out of the shower, naked as a jaybird. This simile replaced the 19th-century naked as a robin and is equally unclear, since neither bird is normally stripped of its feathers. Further, the bird it refers to is more often called simply "jay" rather than "jaybird," yet the latter is always part of the simile. [c. 1940]
well...at least Naked as a Jaybird sounds better than Naked as a Robin.
I mean really?
Post a Comment