Thursday, February 18, 2010

I've Been Graupeled!

Monday night as I left work and started driving home...

it started to sleet...

the sleet turned to pea sized hail...

the hail turned to BIG sloppy, wet splats of snow...

the snow turned to rain...

It was weird. The local TV station meteorologist, said there is a word for just such a weather phenomenon ...... graupel! I looked it up:

Graupel
grau⋅pel [grou-puh] –noun
Origin:
1885–90; < G; dim. of Graupe hulled grain
snow pellets  –noun
precipitation, usually of brief duration, consisting of crisp, white, opaque ice particles, round or conical in shape and about two to five millimeters in diameter.
Also called graupel, soft hail, tapioca snow.

snow pellet
n. A small white ice particle that falls as precipitation and breaks apart easily when it lands on a surface. Often used in the plural. Also called graupel, soft hail.



SO....I learned a new word.

Have you ever been "graupeled"?

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Awe rats...i thought it was gonna be something dirty!!!
:)

Mindy said...

That is funny. I was just about to say - be sure you always precede that last question with the definition of the word or someone might think you are saying something dirty! he he!

Grandmom said...

Yes, I have been graupeled quite a few times. Always happens when we're in Ireland. Snow,rain,sleet, hail and don't forget we were always blessed with a rainbow sometime during all of this